Okay, gang. Unlike yesterday, I'm feeling pretty dang jolly today! First off, this is my last day in the office for almost two weeks, since I'm headed home to Chicago to spend the holidays with friends and family. Second, I saw a wonderful, live performance of A Christmas Carol last night, which put me in the appropriately festive spirit. And finally, I'm attending about three different holiday parties tonight, after heading to my company's holiday luncheon this afternoon. So it's going to be a fun-filled Friday for this girl.
Anyhoo, if you're like me, you'll have a full schedule of holiday fiestas on the horizon the next few weeks. So how does one avoid piling on the pounds when so much egg nog and fudge is around? Here are a few tips to surviving the holiday season with little weight gain.
* Don't show up hungry. Take time to eat a light, healthy snack before hitting the big holiday party food spread.
* When fixing your plate, make sure the bulk of it is fruits and veggies. That way you can fill up your belly faster with healthier items.
* Eating smaller portions is key. Yes, you can indulge in some gingerbread. Just don't eat the entire loaf.
* If you're eating dinner at a friend or relative's house, bring some low-calorie snack options such as a fruit salad or raw veggies and hummus.
* If you're doing the cooking, avoid adding lots of butter, salt and fatty dressings. You may be able to use low-fat or skim milk products instead of whole milk products in some dishes. In some baked goods, you can swap applesauce for oil. Switching ingredients can create tasty results without the high calories that often come with rich foods.
* Try not to get seconds until a few hours after you've eaten the first plate.
* Always eat dessert last.
* Drink lots of water. It will help fill you up.
* Drink alcohol in moderation.
* Take a walk after supper or get in a morning or afternoon workout before arriving to the party.
By the way, here's a low-calorie, sucralose-sweetened recipe for anyone looking to bring a sweet treat to an upcoming holiday party.
Finally, did anyone watch The Office last night? Apparently, Michael gave Meredith (the office alkie, by the way) a cocktail that was "equal parts scotch, absinthe, rum, gin, vermouth, triple sec and two packets of Splenda." He called it the "one of everything" drink. Hee.
For your Friday chuckle, here's a clip from last night's episode - one that features another classic Jim prank.
FYI: I'll try to check in over the next two weeks with more sugar-free recipe tips, but in case it doesn't happen, happy holidays y'all!!