Clark: Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?
Eddie: Naw, I'm doing just fine, Clark.
One of my gal pals was just mentioning some delicious eggnog ice cream she picked up yesterday...which reminded me that it's December...and I haven't had a single glass of eggnog yet! Don't worry. I'll be indulging in the delicious beverage soon enough.
It truly is one of my favorite tasty treats during the holidays. Top it off with a little rum and some vanilla ice cream and it's heaven in a glass!
Eggnog is a dairy-based beverage made with milk, cream and eggs and flavoured with ground cinnamon and nutmeg. While you can drink it plain, there are also alcoholic versions featuring brandy, rum, whiskey and more.
I, like many others, associate eggnog with winter. It's just such a fabulous holiday treat, don't you think? Clark Griswold appears to agree.
Anyhoo, I'll be whipping up this sucralose-sweetened eggnog recipe tonight while listening to Christmas music. Check it out.
1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
7 egg yolks
4 cups 2% milk
2 cups fat-free half and half
2 tablespoons vanilla extract*
1. Mix together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy
saucepan. Set aside.
2. Whisk egg yolks. Add to SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener mixture whisking until blended. Gradually whisk in milk.
3. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly until the temperature reaches 175 degrees approximately (5 to 8 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in half and half; cool.
4. Cover and chill 3 hours or up to 3 days. Stir in vanilla extract just before serving.
* If desired, 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract can be replaced with 1 cup dark rum.