Don't know about if the rest of you agree, but it often seems there is no timeframe more depressing than that first week of January. The weather is typically gray, work is stressful and there are no vacations or holidays to look forward to for many, many months. Blargh.
At the same time, though, I often use this as my stepping point to get back into a healthy routine after weeks of holiday parties and general craziness. Last night, for example, I went to the grocery store and loaded up on healthy foods. And today, I will be going back to the gym for the first time in a week. I also plan to keep a closer eye on my intake of calories. And to do that, I'll be turning to a few different sites to help maintain a lower-fat, lower-cal diet. These recommendations come from Hungry Girl, so you know they must be good!
1. CalorieKing - This site is THE place to go for nutritional info. There are other sites that are similar, but this has the most complete and accurate database of nutritionals for generic, name-brand, and restaurant foods.
2. Dotti's Weight Loss Zone - Dotti has what a great database of Weight Watchers POINTS® values for foods from specific restaurants. As with any unofficial site, you should try to double-check the stats to be sure they're accurate and up-to-date.
3. WeightWatchers.com - Even if you're not following the WW plan, this website is a FANTASTIC resource. The message boards are amazing, and anyone can search away on them. While members get the most from this site, there are tons of articles and valuable info available to everyone as well.
4. SparkPeople - Join for free, and you'll have access to tons of tools, the site's community, health articles, and more.
5. The Daily Plate - With a food journal, exercise tracker, calorie calculator, and database of a bazillion foods, this site is one of the best out there.
6. The World's Healthiest Foods - This is an amazing resource for food info. Find out which foods are the most nutritious and why, plus find recipes and fantastic articles.
Finally for something totally off-topic...here is a funny video from my boyfriend's show (aka Jon Stewart and the Daily Show) last night featuring Anderson Cooper and lots of doggies!!