Sausage balls. Chocolate pecan pie. Cajun turducken with pork sausage stuffing. Fudge. Wine, beer, bloodies and mimosas. Those are just a few of the items I've enjoyed over the past week. Needless to say, my pants are a wee bit tighter than before I headed to Chicago for my holiday break. And seeing as how I'm here for another three days - and there is deep dish pizza, Greek food, Indian cuisine and other goodies still on tap - I might have to be rolled onto the plane Violet Beauregarde style.
Anyhoo, I've been trying to keep it on the healthy side, really! I've been exercising in the mornings, eating healthy breakfasts, not noshing on high-cal snacks throughout the day - but there is just so much temptation. I think I'll likely have to chalk this trip up to a loss and start over again when I get back to Atlanta.
By the way, there is one particular holiday treat that I have not enjoyed yet. December is almost over and I haven't had a single glass of eggnog! Don't worry. I'll be indulging in the delicious beverage soon enough. It truly is one of my favorite tasty treats during the holidays. Top it off with a little rum and some vanilla ice cream and it's heaven in a glass!
To keep things light, I'll be whipping up this sucralose-sweetened eggnog recipe tonight. Check it out.
1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
7 egg yolks
4 cups 2% milk
2 cups fat-free half and half
2 tablespoons vanilla extract*
1. Mix together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy
saucepan. Set aside.
2. Whisk egg yolks. Add to SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener mixture whisking until blended. Gradually whisk in milk.
3. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly until the temperature reaches 175 degrees approximately (5 to 8 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in half and half; cool.
4. Cover and chill 3 hours or up to 3 days. Stir in vanilla extract just before serving.
* If desired, 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract can be replaced with 1 cup dark rum.
And for all you Griswold family fans, here is a clip from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Enjoy!