Anyhoo, here are my tips for any other calorie counters spending their weekends in front of the grill and/or the TV.
- Don't show up hungry. Take time to eat a light, healthy snack before hitting the spread.
- When fixing your plate, try to add plenty of fruits and veggies. That way you can fill up your belly faster with healthier items.
- Eating smaller portions is key. Yes, you can indulge in some baked beans or potato salad. But don't pile a mountain of it on your plate.
- Bring some low-calorie snack options such as a fruit salad or raw veggies and hummus.
- Avoid adding lots of butter, salt, condiments and fatty dressings.
- Drink lots of water. It will help fill you up.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Drink diet soda instead of the regular version to save calories.
- Rather than sitting around and snacking, play a game instead. It’s difficult to overeat if you're throwing around the football or playing corn hole.