Wednesday, December 31, 2014
In 2015, I resolve to do the following...
Who's taking the day off work today? ME! That's right, kids. I'm officially out of the office until 2015. I agreed to help some friends prepare for their annual NYE party tonight, so I figured it was a good excuse to burn off my remaining overtime hours.
And what a year it's been. From getting married in New Orleans surrounded by 180 of my closest friends and relatives, to accepting a new job and traveling to new places, it's been an action-packed 2014. Here's hoping 2015 brings even more excitement. But I'm also hoping to turn over a healthier leaf in the new year. I've slacked off the last few months, when it comes to exercise and healthy eating. I haven't been terrible, but there's certainly room for improvement. So the hubs and I are making some resolutions and will hopefully stick to them. Here are a few of my goals...
1) Find excitement in exercise. Since I'm no longer a 20-something spring chicken, those pounds don't shed so easily anymore. And I've often struggled with maintaining a regular routine of exercise. I'll go through months where I work out six times a week, then go through phases where I'm lucky to work out once every other week. That nonsense needs to end. Studies show that regular exercise helps reduce the risk of some cancers, increases longevity, enhances mood, lowers blood pressure and helps with weight loss and maintenance. Although I'm no stranger to the gym, I'm determined to shed a couple more pounds and the best way to do that is to mix up the routine. Bikram yoga one day. Weights and lunges the next. Zumba the following day. I plan to find fun new exercise classes (thank you Groupon!) to keep the interest up, rather than getting bored and lazy.
2) Get out of debt. Well, getting married earlier this year certainly didn't help my wallet. Plus, we're paying off a mortgage and car note. But thanks to my accountant-husband, I've already started working out a budget for next year and will definitely stick to it in order to pay for that honeymoon we so badly want to take in summer 2015.
3) Pick up a hobby. Remember in high school and college when you always learned something new? Yeah, I miss those days. My plan this year is to tackle something new - maybe learn a foreign language or take a jewelry-making class. I need more skillz, yo!
4) Stop procrastinating. Like many, I tend to put things off until the last minute. And then I get stressed out about how little time I have to accomplish what needs to get done. No mas! I will be better about managing my time.
5) Don't sweat the petty things. This one speaks for itself. Life is good, so why worry about insignificant issues? Appreciate what you have, rather than worry about what you don't have.
And there ya have it. Check in with me again in six months to see if I've stuck to this list. What are some of your resolutions this year?